Monday, September 27, 2010

Yeah that was a week ago

So much has happened to me in a week.



So last time when I said I was meeting a former president of Germany, what I meant was sit in the general vicinity of and not be important enough to be acknowledged by.  Still though, it was a pretty amazing experience for only my 3rd week in the country.  RvW is 90 years old, but you'd never know if from the jokes he was telling and the way he carried himself generally.  I think if I make it to 90 years old I'm going to demand some school host me so I can demand that students speak up and slow down when they ask me questions.  It seems like fun.


Also everyone figured out I speak German because I saw through the entire presentation without any effort. 


I'm slowly making friends!



So basically I didn't take any pictures of anything because I'm probably the worst blogger ever. 



Oh yeah I went to the Netherlands on Saturday with Astrid and family.  They gave me the typical Holland experience, which involves eating delicious fried foods, drinking Grolsch (which is the first pilsner I've had in a while that I've liked) and walking around a fish market.  The fish market was actually a larger flea market type deal, but the fish was the best part.  Apparently the dutch fry everything, than stay thin because they ride their bikes everywhere. 
That reminds me, I need to pump up the jams on the air in my tires.   I need to start appreciating the scenery at a much faster pace.  Also before you ask, no I don't have a very dignified looking bike, but it was cheap and better than having to find one on my own. 

Also while we were in the Netherlands (Entschede I believe it's called), we saw a boy scout jamboree/scout fair kind of thing!  There were dudes (and dudettes) playing leaf blower soccer, making campfires, building structures out of wood that serve no other purpose but to stand up on their own power.   What was interesting was that at every age level there seemed to be a good mix of boys and girls and there didn't seem to be any problems (BAM I just political all over BSA's ass, even though they've allowed girls since like I was in 5th grade).  I'm sure my father would have appreciated the scenery a little better than I cared to. 

The Netherlands is a pretty great place, the food is amazing, the people are very nice and most people speak either German or English.  The best part is that I'm only an hour away or so from the border, so I can go whenever I please! 



Also potatoes go rotten pretty quick here, either that or I forgot when I bought those potatoes.  In any case I ran out of food yesterday...

need to buy a fridge pretty soon here.


anyway going to sign off now but first this story, woke up early to go to the Ausländeramt (alien services) to see if Berlin has finally answered back about whether or not I'm a criminal (I'm not) that committed any crimes in Berlin (I haven't).  Well they haven't gotten back to Münster yet, which makes this 3 times I've tried for my Aufenthaltserlaubnis.  Hopefully the fourth time will be the charm.


I really need to plan these things out better, but I'm probably not going to. 

2 comments:

  1. I don't think that's true about BSA. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_Scouts_of_America_membership_controversies]

    It looks like girls are still prohibited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait really? Damn. Oh well, it's stupid then. Girls should be allowed to be scouts too!

    ReplyDelete