Thursday, September 16, 2010

2nd post! (I'm consistent)

So at the chiding of my parents, and in the spirit of my cousin, The Left Coast Contessa, I'll do ONE entry on what I'm currently eating.  Mostly because my set up here is kind of minimal and it's pretty boring what I can do right now seeing as I have to eat all of what I make (no waste/storage possibility here) and I have to pair down everything to one pan.  I for one see it as an interesting challenge for the moment.  I would really like to upgrade the kitchen somehow, but I know that that really isn't possible.  At the very least I would love a fridge to store leftovers in for later...



Anyway, for lunch today I had currywurst mit pommes mayo so naturally the order of the day was for a healthy dinner.  I immediately went to the internet (because I'm resourceful like that) and found something satisfactorily quick and basic.  I say basic because I don't know if I can get a lot of the stuff most recipes call for, and in any case I always try to budget my trips to the grocery store to under 10 euro if possible, though at the beginning this is almost impossible because I need so much stuff.

Anyway here's the finished product, I didn't really follow the recipe other than to dump quantities of things listed into a pan and hope for the best.  There is a ton of cayenne pepper in there BECAUSE GOD HELP ME I NEED SOME CAPSICUM.



As you can see from the generally reddish color (I'm not really cut out for food writing alright, give me a break) there were definitely some tomatoes in the mix, as well as some other vegetables.  Given the huge quantity of potatoes I purchased the other day you would probably expect some potatoes to be contained within the curry.  You would be wrong.  Yes, despite my intent to find creative and multifaceted uses for this humble root, I've as of yet only cut them into little pieces, slather them in curry ketchup and eat them.  Yesterday I didn't even cook them enough! 

Here's a picture of my kitchen set up, so you know what I'm dealing with.

That's basically it.  I'm gonna get pretty fancy though, it could be really fun to work through the frustration of essentially only being able to use one burner at a time (my other two pots won't fit on the heating pad at the same time as the pan). 




I also have a toaster oven, that I plan on using as a regular oven.  It's actually not very exciting.



Anyway, my curry is getting cold, and this pilsner I'm drinking ain't getting any colder.  They suggested a white wine, but I figure a pilsner is basically the same thing?

1 comment:

  1. Ah! I love this! Excellent food writing. I'm thinking guest post on LCC!

    ReplyDelete