Sunday, October 3, 2010

Another week?

So we've gotten another roommate here, his name is Max.  He seems nice.  He immediately figured out my foreignness (John just isn't a common name here) but did not figure that I wasn't from England.  I guess us real 'mericans are real scarce 'round these parts.  Seriously though, I had a student in one of my classes ask me what part of England I was from after hearing my accent.  I'm not making fun of her (I would never make fun of my students, at least not for trying to speak English) but it was just weird that she couldn't tell is all. 

I was supposed to see Despicable Me (hilariously translated here as Ich-Einfach Unverbersserlich) yesterday with some people, but I got a call on Friday (which I answered in German) that we would instead go on Tuesday, a Kinotag or discounted day) because, "You and I can't just throw money away John,".  I think I've found a new friend, or at least someone to hang out with.  He's cheap, just like me! 


Oh man, Television is sounding so good right now, that's the band not the TV.  I have one of those by the way, but it only works if I put it up on a chair right next to my door.  There are no antennas here, just cables, and the cable to my room only extends to the door frame...

It's not like there's anything on anyway.

Speaking of TV and I how I'm not watching it (the internet is my television, please) today was and is a beautiful day.  There was this huge bike race in Münsterland that finished off by the Schloss (it's this big Schloss in the middle of the city) so I went to check out the carnival afterward.  It was pretty cool actually, they had standard German fare food (brats, currywurst, pommes etc) as well as Pott's Beer, which is now my favorite beer.  They brew beer not far from Münster and both their Pilsner and Kellerbiers are amazing.  Not so much an assault on the senses but instead a gentle restructuring into their proper place.  Totally excellent beer that comes in unfortunately small packages and is pretty expensive.  Oh well, at least I've still got Köstritzer. 

I get the next two days off from work, well I get every Monday off, but since the students are doing mid-terms this week I don't really have to show up for class.  Wednesday I also don't have any class because the students are on Praktikum, but my school is having a grill thing so I'm definitely going to check that out.  Thursday I think I have to go back to work, Friday I definitely do.  After that I get two weeks off!  I'm already headed off to Hamburg to celebrate 10/10/10 with some Grinnellians (and a fellow Fulbrighter) for the weekend.  I was going to go to Berlin but I think that fell through (I won't mention any names but my travel partner's name rhymes with Mathan Mallus) so instead I think I might go to France.  I have a Bahncard which lets me travel on the cheap (and for which I only payed half price!) so I can sort of travel freely nowadays.  I'm pretty excited about the next couple of weeks for me. 


I promise at some point I'll get off my lazy ass and take pictures.  And post them, and that they won't just be stolen from the internet like the last one. 


Also my body craves meat.  That's sort of apropos of nothing so just ignore it.  

3 comments:

  1. Can we visit that brewery or is that not so realistic? Since it's close and all...

    Also that Mathan Mallus thing was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll check it out. If not, there's another brewery in Münster that is supposed to be pretty good. Pinkus Müller, though we didn't like there wheat beer, has a brew pub kind of set up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when we had Pinkus. That's near you? That's fate. We pretty much have to go so I can justify owning the glass I own from them.

    ReplyDelete