Wednesday, December 1, 2010

continued

So you should probably start with the previous post if you're just picking up on this now.  I have a tendency to get lost in unimportant details and sometimes lose patience with it myself even. 


Anyway as midnight reared its ugly head (we were actually taking it easy because the previous night required the use of a taxi to get home, and none of us quite remembers how we found a taxi) the Brits noticed that it was my birthday and decided to sing.  This was the first of at least 5 different Happy Birthday songs I would be forced to endure throughout the next week.  This one was actually quite charming because they sang it in the Stadtbahn station with fake German accents (that were pretty dead on, though I guess we can all do them now) and then I remember hugs happening.  They're actually nice people once you get to know them. 

Anyway my birthday itself was rather boring afterward.  In the morning a Scottish girl kissed me on the eye, or that happened later.  I don't remember which one.  She also slapped me two nights prior to illustrate her ability to do so.  I don't understand either.


For some reason the tour of the Altstadt happened on the last day of our time in Düsseldorf.  What made the whole thing even stranger was that they only took us through places we had already been, either on our own or because we were taken there previously.  None of it made much sense.


Traveled home, nothing exciting happened.  I got invited to an awesome Thanksgiving dinner. 



So there's this German-American organization in Münster (and I guess in Germany) which hosts things on American holidays so that ex-pats and Germans who have spent time in America can get together and get a little slice of home/remember their time abroad.  The meal itself was actually delicious, it was a potluck in an old German barn.  They had not one but two huge Turkeys that were actually quite tasty and I made some garlic mashed potatoes that I saw the Americans devour ravenously but the Germans not really touch.  I thought it was pretty good anyway.


Then came the line dancing, which I thought was the greatest thing ever until I saw the square dancing.


Germans dancing is by far my favorite thing to watch.  I feel bad for making fun of them, but they do it too so I guess it's ok. 


Anyway they shuffled aimlessly around the floor while the caller kept mispronouncing "Dos-i-do", it was pretty special.  I was beside myself, really and truly. 



The strangest part of the evening was losing in the trivia contest about American history.  We lost to a bunch of old Germans who were in America during the '60s and 70's.  They called themselves, rather prophetically I might add, "The Winners" and actually didn't beat the Amis by all that much.


At some point I also saw a production of the Christmas Carol and stayed up till 4 at some dance club.  It was pretty boring.


Also I drank a lot of glühwein, and will continue to do so until they stop selling it to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment